More Emojis for the 'Like' Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drek

Ratings
There are 31 different emojis available to use in a post/reply: :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::censored::cry::love::LOL::ROFLMAO::sick::sleep::sneaky:(y)(n):unsure::whistle::coffee::giggle::alien::devilish::geek::poop:

In a Like, or reaction, or whatever you want to call it, there are only about 10. The emojis there are decent, but I feel as if a few more should be added. If not, at least the :unsure: face should be.

It really works well with almost everything... Or does it? :unsure:

Anyways, that's all I have to say. Thanks for reading

TopSilver

MP Founder
Administrator
Ratings
Drek the issue on the emojis is the fact that the others do not represent positive ratings or positive reactions. The add-on has an option to allow neutral and negative reactions as well. In the case where we were using all 3 categories I would add them. But right now a rating should be based on a positive approach to someones thread or post. If I added all the emojis, it would not resemble a positive view on a post.

However I am also able to add custom emojis so if you had any in mind you wanted to share feel free to share them and I will consider adding several more as long as they reflect similarities to a like or a positive rating and also closely resembeled the others~TopSilver

Andox88

The special pancake
Super Moderator
Ratings
Drek the issue on the emojis is the fact that the others do not represent positive ratings or positive reactions. The add-on has an option to allow neutral and negative reactions as well. In the case where we were using all 3 categories I would add them. But right now a rating should be based on a positive approach to someones thread or post. If I added all the emojis, it would not resemble a positive view on a post.

However I am also able to add custom emojis so if you had any in mind you wanted to share feel free to share them and I will consider adding several more as long as they reflect similarities to a like or a positive rating and also closely resembeled the others~TopSilver
What is the issue with negative interactions? As negativity spices things and starts conflict, conflicts lead to fighting, fighting leads to commotion, and thats what makes a home lively right? Sure you may be able to express offensive thoughts in a reply but why not give the option to give feedback based on a simple emoji. If peoples like what was said they may put a positive symbol but if they dont like it then instead of writing a reply you can receive feedback on you're post via the emoji.

TopSilver

MP Founder
Administrator
Ratings
What is the issue with negative interactions? As negativity spices things and starts conflict, conflicts lead to fighting, fighting leads to commotion, and thats what makes a home lively right? Sure you may be able to express offensive thoughts in a reply but why not give the option to give feedback based on a simple emoji. If peoples like what was said they may put a positive symbol but if they dont like it then instead of writing a reply you can receive feedback on you're post via the emoji.
Well to be quite honest if were on the same level of thinking then I will explain that there's counts for neutral and negative reactions two. It would be 3 different counts in the postbit. The actual point of me spending extra money on a second add-on that could rate posts was specifically because I did not want negative reactions on the site. The previous one I had bought had no way to change that.

Your exactly right it makes for an interesting turn out, however most sites I have seen that use them (especially ones I used to get on frequently) had permissions set where only the moderator could give a negative reactions. Not that anyone would abuse the system per say but it has happened before. I can see it happening a lot on the genre we chose as a site (general discussion) and to be honest in my opinion degrades users from wanting to stick around for longer periods of time. My plan is to grow a site where users will want to stick around for long periods of time and get to know eachother on better level. If users have to look at negative reactions on a daily basis it drives them from wanting to stick around. Can you imagine the little user panel above the sidebar and having to view negative feedback on a daily basis.

I think the "spice" in the forums is better now regardless as it shows the "ratings given" amount as well if you check and click your avatar and also on the profile page. That makes for an interesting turn out as well because users are not giving reactions unless they truly feel its deserved instead of handing them out easy (as I've been somewhat doing recently only for now since were new).

To be honest, it can always be implemented once we get a huge user base if multiple users gather and all want the same thing. But for now we need to grow as a community. Without growth the system is likely to be abused. When we have 40 users on at one time and over 10-20 people with 100 posts then it might be a good idea to discuss possibilities given and only given that multiple users request the same thing. As the way I see it, positive ratings are the best way to go especially when given ratings are at play here. I may implement a given count in the postbit soon if it becomes an option or if I can find a way to do it.

I appreciate your feedback Andox88 . I'm willing to here what you have to say if I have not convinced you.

Drek

Ratings
Well to be quite honest if were on the same level of thinking then I will explain that there's counts for neutral and negative reactions two. It would be 3 different counts in the postbit. The actual point of me spending extra money on a second add-on that could rate posts was specifically because I did not want negative reactions on the site. The previous one I had bought had no way to change that.

Your exactly right it makes for an interesting turn out, however most sites I have seen that use them (especially ones I used to get on frequently) had permissions set where only the moderator could give a negative reactions. Not that anyone would abuse the system per say but it has happened before. I can see it happening a lot on the genre we chose as a site (general discussion) and to be honest in my opinion degrades users from wanting to stick around for longer periods of time. My plan is to grow a site where users will want to stick around for long periods of time and get to know eachother on better level. If users have to look at negative reactions on a daily basis it drives them from wanting to stick around. Can you imagine the little user panel above the sidebar and having to view negative feedback on a daily basis.

I think the "spice" in the forums is better now regardless as it shows the "ratings given" amount as well if you check and click your avatar and also on the profile page. That makes for an interesting turn out as well because users are not giving reactions unless they truly feel its deserved instead of handing them out easy (as I've been somewhat doing recently only for now since were new).

To be honest, it can always be implemented once we get a huge user base if multiple users gather and all want the same thing. But for now we need to grow as a community. Without growth the system is likely to be abused. When we have 40 users on at one time and over 10-20 people with 100 posts then it might be a good idea to discuss possibilities given and only given that multiple users request the same thing. As the way I see it, positive ratings are the best way to go especially when given ratings are at play here. I may implement a given count in the postbit soon if it becomes an option or if I can find a way to do it.

I appreciate your feedback Andox88 . I'm willing to here what you have to say if I have not convinced you.
I agree, though I don't see how the Unsure emoji is negative. :unsure:

Sure, it may not be a , but it's useful for quite a few things.

TopSilver

MP Founder
Administrator
Ratings
I agree, though I don't see how the Unsure emoji is negative. :unsure:

Sure, it may not be a , but it's useful for quite a few things.
It's more of a neutral rating but still doesn't reflect a positive rating on a post. I want any rating we have to be as a type of reward someone receives for posting good content that others appreciate or agree with. Though if we ever add neutral and negative ratings I will definitely take you up on adding it at that point. I like the rating as well, it just doesn't reflect a positive view.

Drek

Ratings
It's more of a neutral rating but still doesn't reflect a positive rating on a post. I want any rating we have to be as a type of reward someone receives for posting good content that others appreciate or agree with. Though if we ever add neutral and negative ratings I will definitely take you up on adding it at that point. I like the rating as well, it just doesn't reflect a positive view.
Ah, ok. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)