How often do you get a new phone?

Lämmchen

Contributor
Apr 18, 2020
How often do you get a new phone? Are you on a plan that allows you to upgrade cheaply?

I'm the type of person who doesn't get a new phone often and that's because I make do with what I have until I can't deal with any bad issues anymore. My last phone had a battery problem where it would die by noon but this newer phone lasts more than a day so I'm happy with it.

TopSilver

MP Founder
Administrator
Apr 13, 2018
It's not very often I get a new phone actually. Had the iPhone 5 (as outdated as that is) for the longest time, up until about 10 months ago. I now have the iPhone 11 through a gift a family member gave me. It's much nicer and I prefer having it but wouldn't pay what it cost if I had bought it myself. It has great battery life though.

Nagato

1st Administrator no owner
Retired Staff
VIP
Apr 16, 2018
I upgrade almost every year through my plan but as of this year I want to not upgrade for a long time. That way I can buy the phone outright without needing to be on a plan where I'm spending $100+/M. But also because I'm waiting for no notch. So it will take a long time to save for a phone. I haven't started yet.

Empire

Kings Of All Kings!
Feb 5, 2021
Not often enough for me, The phone that I own now is the second phone that I have owned in the last ten years and in the last three months have been looking for a new phone that's not overpriced. But waiting on my phone provider to fix a problem before I move on :)

I say every five years is good enough if you own your own phone and look after it, can last longer.

Nerdface

Bazinga!
Mar 23, 2019
I would say every 3-4 years also.

I tend to have the worst luck with phones, especially since I've started having smartphones. Either through faults that develop through no apparent reason, accidental damage (usually from a drop), or even issues with the contracts themselves.. :cautious:

I've bought my most recent one outright, so I could technically change it whenever I want - but I've only had it a few months, so hopefully I can make it last and save myself a bit of money in the long run.