Debate and Collaborate With Like Minded People

Are you ready to share your opinions and thoughts with others? Register today to get the ability to post threads and share replies

SignUp Now!

Do you do your own maintence?

Lämmchen

Ratings

Do you know how to do oil changes and such on your car? I've never done oil changes but I can check the oil, fill the tires with air (we have a digital gauge which is awesome as well as an air compressor), change some filters and lightbulbs and basic stuff like that. I'm not sure I can change a tire though because they lug nuts are put on too tightly.

I kind of wish I knew how to do oil changes because I hate waiting at the dealership for it to be taken care of and when I go to the quick places they always seem to mess something up on my vehicle! Sometimes all those added on things don't even get done and I feel like I had been taken advantage of :(

Laifot

Explosion!
Super Moderator
Ratings

Do you know how to do oil changes and such on your car? I've never done oil changes but I can check the oil, fill the tires with air (we have a digital gauge which is awesome as well as an air compressor), change some filters and lightbulbs and basic stuff like that. I'm not sure I can change a tire though because they lug nuts are put on too tightly.

I kind of wish I knew how to do oil changes because I hate waiting at the dealership for it to be taken care of and when I go to the quick places they always seem to mess something up on my vehicle! Sometimes all those added on things don't even get done and I feel like I had been taken advantage of :(

My car is old so i don't really wanna mess up with it. I know how to change oil but i don't have the appropiate equipment for it. Also, maintenance is not equal to repair.

The racks, suspension and front axle are the most common thing that my car needs to replace and involves work with the engine and delicate parts, in the hands of the newbie would be a mess.. so better not to take it lightly.

bittersweet

Contributor
Ratings

I do not, my dad has always been my go to mechanic, responsible for handling all of the major repairs and modifications to my vehicles over the years. The maintenance since buying my new car is to have the car repaired at a certified Jeep dealership since the vehicle is covered under warranty for major repairs.

Laifot

Explosion!
Super Moderator
Ratings

I do not, my dad has always been my go to mechanic, responsible for handling all of the major repairs and modifications to my vehicles over the years. The maintenance since buying my new car is to have the car repaired at a certified Jeep dealership since the vehicle is covered under warranty for major repairs.
It's a good idea to also try to cover the major repairs with some sort of insurance. I don't know if this is mandatory when buying a car in the US but i think it should be.

Buy original parts!

Demon_skeith

Ratings
I, unfortunately do not, great as it would be as it would save me money. I do however know how to maintenance my own computer/network stuff so I guess that saves me money to keep my car running in top shape.

Laifot

Explosion!
Super Moderator
Ratings

I, unfortunately do not, great as it would be as it would save me money. I do however know how to maintenance my own computer/network stuff so I guess that saves me money to keep my car running in top shape.
Light mainteneance is really easy, and least in cars from Early 2000 till 2005. Checking the balance for a better use of your tires is also a good idea!

bittersweet

Contributor
Ratings

It's a good idea to also try to cover the major repairs with some sort of insurance. I don't know if this is mandatory when buying a car in the US but i think it should be.

Buy original parts!
It's mandatory in most states to have insurance when you purchase your license or get it renewed, with some form of proof of insurance presented during the process to receive the actual card. A lot of people in Michigan, where I used to live, would go and buy temporary insurance so they could renew and then they would drop it after. Michigan was a no fault state and so a lot of people during accidents would simply drive off if there were no major injuries.

Laifot

Explosion!
Super Moderator
Ratings

It's mandatory in most states to have insurance when you purchase your license or get it renewed, with some form of proof of insurance presented during the process to receive the actual card. A lot of people in Michigan, where I used to live, would go and buy temporary insurance so they could renew and then they would drop it after. Michigan was a no fault state and so a lot of people during accidents would simply drive off if there were no major injuries.
That's something i always wondered. I frequently see in movies that most people don't care when they have accidents if it wasn't serious. I know a movie is not a valid circumstance but in here, you'll never get away like that.

Demon_skeith

Ratings
Light mainteneance is really easy, and least in cars from Early 2000 till 2005. Checking the balance for a better use of your tires is also a good idea!
Guess I should take time to learn it then. But I much rather have someone paid do it, as the last thing I need right now is my car not working right due to a blunder on my part.

Laifot

Explosion!
Super Moderator
Ratings

Guess I should take time to learn it then. But I much rather have someone paid do it, as the last thing I need right now is my car not working right due to a blunder on my part.
Yeah, you can't afford to mess up anything. Also i go to a specialized center and pay for the services so i can claim warranty if something goes wrong.

Sir Twisted

Ratings

I do most of the easy stuff when it comes to my vehicle maintenance, I wish I could learn to change my break pads and discs though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)