Adding storage space to a Laptop

Alexander.

Oct 26, 2020
So, I have an HP Laptop, and the SSD has only a 250g capacity for memory. Is there any way to purchase an "upgrade slot" and install it onto my machine? I'm reluctant to purchase a new computer because of this, although my storage isn't suitable right now.

TopSilver

MP Founder
Administrator
Apr 13, 2018
An external USB stick is an option but there are ways to install another SSD drive. It really depends if there's another slot available to be filled with in your laptop. If there's no secondary slot then you could replace it but then you'd have to transfer your storage to the new device.

If you have Window OneDrive making the files available to your new hard drive shouldn't be too hard to do.

Nerdface

Bazinga!
Mar 23, 2019
If your laptop has a CD/DVD drive that isn't used, you could always buy an adapter to install another HDD/SSD in that slot.

I contemplated doing this myself and even bought the adapter, but never went ahead with the install since I still use the CD/DVD drive.

Smokey

Revillution C.E.O
Jul 13, 2019
As @Nerdface pointed out. That's an option but if you're gonna spend that kind of money on doing this, depending on how old the laptop is, and what it's specs are/what you need/will be using it for, you might be better off just grabbing a new laptop with a larger HDD and more ram, and keeping your current as a spare/emergency backup.

Demon_skeith

Contributor
May 6, 2020
You're better off getting an external drive, sure it looks bad sticking out but its better than messing with the inside. Or just a usb stick if you want a lesser form factor.

Lämmchen

Contributor
Apr 18, 2020
So, I have an HP Laptop, and the SSD has only a 250g capacity for memory. Is there any way to purchase an "upgrade slot" and install it onto my machine? I'm reluctant to purchase a new computer because of this, although my storage isn't suitable right now.

You're asking about storage capacity and not memory, correct? You mention both so I wanted to make sure.

For memory, not all laptops can be upgraded with more memory because it depends on how many slots there are when you open it up. HP is usually good at allowing more memory to be added.

For storage, it's like the others say that you can get an external hard drive to hook up to your computer but running off it will be slow. Choose which things you want saved to the hard drive that you don't use a lot and just want for storage and you should be good.